Monday, February 23, 2009

What it Takes

I've been working at the Capitol now for about six weeks. I came into this position with uncertainty and confusion. But now I have learned how most of the operation works.

First, anyone can run for public office if they have enough money. It takes a couple hundred thousand to run for a Senate position. It takes a few million to run for the governor position.

When asked one day if I would ever run for office I replied, "Well, I don't know that I would be very qualified." That same afternoon I was delivering a paper to a "senator" on the floor and observed this "senator" shopping online for skirts. Now that you know this "senator" is a woman, you can probably quess who it was. What a disgrace! I was amazed that this "senator" would have that kind of ignorance - to think that she could get away with shopping online in front of everyone! I'm sure the guests sitting in the gallery could see her!

So, I no longer look at the position of senator as a high and mighty position. And - if "ice man" can run for gov then anyone can - as long as you are famous that is.

0 comments:

Post a Comment